The Cambria County Conservation District, formed in 1950, is a political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, organized under Act 217, the Pennsylvania Conservation District law. About 50 percent of the Conservation Districts statewide are county departments. The rest stand alone, as authorized by Act 217. Regardless of their status, all Conservation Districts are subject to the policies and decisions of the Pennsylvania State Conservation Commission, including director appointment approvals, income generation, audits and state-allocated funding.
The Cambria County Conservation District acts not as an advisory board of directors to the county commissioners, but in concert with them to fulfill the mission of the District for a better Cambria County. The two county governments, acting together, are a powerful team for Cambria County in delivering programs and other efforts related to environmental issues.
County government’s role is to provide the District with an adequate budget along with basic but critical administrative assistance such as access to county purchasing, accounting software, IT support, solicitor needs, a human resources department and payroll, among other services.